About KMBL 1450AM

Some information about Junction's radio station.


Junction Eagle June 10th, 1976

On August 2, 1950, the Federal Communication Commission granted James E. Calhoun and Callan Graham a construction permit for a new AM standard broadcast station at Junction, to be operated on 1450 kilocycles, with 100 watts power, unlimited time, subject to the selection of a transmitter site and antenna which meet with the approval of the Commission. The construction was completed on November 2, 1950, and the partnership of Calhoun & Graham, DBA Kimble County Broadcasting Company, was granted a permit to operate the radio station at its location at Flat Rock Lane. They applied for the call letters KCAL, but were assigned their second choice, KMBL, which stands for Kimble County.

This partnership soon dissolved and Kimble County Broadcasting Co. underwent its first transfer of ownership on February 18, 1952 to Farrell M. and Norma Sue Brooks. Under their leadership, application was made on October 17, 1952 to increase the power from 100 watts to 250 watts, to operated on 1450 kilocycles, unlimited time. Application was made on May 7, 1954 to move the location of KMBL from Flat Rock Lane to its present location at the corner of Third and Pecan Street and to raise the antenna from 150 feet to 154 feet while operating on the same frequency of 1450 kilocycles, 250 watts day and night, unlimited time.

May 12, 1958, KMBL was under new ownership for the third time. Business interest outside of Junction, caused the Brooks to transfer ownership to Charles Wayne Evans II and Jo Fred Evans, DBA Junction Broadcasting Company, call letters to remain the same. Records do not indicate any major operational changes.

A contract was signed by and between Charles Wayne Evans II and Jo Fred Burt Evans, sellers to Harry C. Wisehart Jr., purchaser on August 9, 1960. Under his direction, the station operated under the name of H. W. Broadcasting Company. The power was increased from 250 watts daytime to 1000 watts, but still 250 watts at night. Wisehart successfully operated KMBL until May 27, 1974, when the ownership was transferred to the present owner, Heart-Of-The-Hills Communications Corporation whose officers are: Curtis C. Short Jr., president; Thomas A. McCampbell, vice-president/secretary; and Dean La Rue Haley, treasurer. Staff members included Grant H. Sitler, Charles E. Mann, Mr. and Mrs. Johnny Gonzales and M. C. Blackburn, III.

    


   KMBL logo

KMBL operates twenty four hours a day for the benefit of the City of Junction and the residents of Kimble County. The station offers a variety of country music, local and statewide news, local sports, and community programs.

Affiliations include the Texas State Network, Fox News Radio, Texas Parks & Wildlife Department, and the National Weather Service.

   

Home | About Us | Contact Us